Yemeni general backs peace deal, 10 militants killed

By REUTERS
December 18, 2011 15:51

SANAA - A dissident army general said on Sunday he backed a peace accord signed last month, lending support to efforts to pull Yemen from the brink of civil war, as officials said ten Islamist militants died in attacks by government forces in the south.

General Ali Mohsen's announcement came one day after both his forces, and troops loyal to outgoing President Ali Abdullah Saleh, began withdrawing from the capital Sanaa as part of the Gulf-brokered peace deal.

"We are ready to support the Gulf initiative, which was bolstered by Security Council resolution 2014," Mohsen told reporters at a news conference in Sanaa, referring to the resolution adopted by the UN body in October endorsing the Gulf peace proposal.

In the country's south, ten fighters from the Ansar al-Sharia, an Islamist militant group linked to al-Qaida, were killed when government forces shelled their positions in Zinjibar, capital of the southern province of Abyan, a local official said. Fighters also clashed with the army, he said.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 21, 2018
Japan PM Abe says N. Korean move is 'forward motion' but results essential

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 14 - 25
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 22
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 21
    Jerusalem
    15 - 21
    Haifa
  • 19 - 36
    Elat
    17 - 28
    Tiberias