Meet with top Israeli leaders at the Jerusalem Post Annual Conference 2017
Sotloff family challenges Islamic State's leader to a debate on the Koran
ByREUTERS
September 4, 2014 11:27
Speaking in Arabic, spokesman for family of slain journalist issues challenge to terror group's leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
Sotloff family spokesman sends message to IS leader

The family of Steven Sotloff, the second American journalist beheaded by Islamic State militants, said on Wednesday he was "a gentle soul", and challenged the group's leader to a debate on the peaceful teachings of the Muslim holy book, the Koran.

Family spokesperson Barak Barfi ended the statement with off-the-cuff remarks in Arabic, saying "Steve died a martyr for the sake of God."



Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.



He then challenged Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to debate Islam, saying, "Woe to you. You said the month of Ramadan is the month of mercy. Where is your mercy?"

"Abu Bakr, I am ready to debate with you. I come in peace. I have no sword in my hand and I am ready for your answer," added Barfi, who is an Arabic scholar and research fellow at the New America Foundation think tank in Washington.

Islamic State released a video on Tuesday (September 2) purporting to show the beheading Sotloff, raising the stakes in its confrontation with Washington over US air strikes in Iraq.

Following the beheading of journalist Jim Foley last week, Sotloff's mother made an emotional plea to Islamic State, requesting they release her son.

The Sotloff family has yet to speak personally to media following their son Steven's death and requested to mourn privately.

US and British officials both examined the video, showing the same British-accented executioner who appeared in an Aug. 19 video of the killing of US journalist James Foley, concluding it was authentic.

The United States resumed air strikes in Iraq in August for the first time since the pullout of US troops in 2011 and Obama said the strikes are already proving effective.

The White House said late on Tuesday (September 2) that Obama was sending three top officials -- Secretary of State John Kerry, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and counterterrorism adviser Lisa Monaco -- to the Middle East "in the near-term to build a stronger regional partnership" against Islamic State militants.

Relevant to your professional network? Please share on Linkedin

Tags:
  • Terrorism
  • terrorism in middle east
  • isis
  • islamic state
  • Share this article via
    from around the web
    Related Content
    Israeli opposition leader Isaac Herzog (L) is interviewed by Editor-in-Chief of the Jerusalem Post.
    March 27, 2017
    Herzog calls for using Arab Peace initiative

    By GIL HOFFMAN

    Top Stories
    Israel Weather
    • 10 - 24
      Beer Sheva
      11 - 19
      Tel Aviv - Yafo
    • 11 - 21
      Jerusalem
      10 - 19
      Haifa
    • 16 - 30
      Elat
      12 - 25
      Tiberias