Mavi Marmara Raid 311.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
A lawyer for the Turkish based Humanitarian Relief Foundation (IHH) said
Friday he had submitted a list of the soldiers involved in the Mavi Marmara raid to Turkish prosecutors.
"We have presented a list of Israeli soldiers who gave the order for and
who were involved in the attack on the Turkish flotilla to the Istanbul
prosecutor's office," Ramazan Ariturk, lawyer for the group that
organized the Gaza flotilla said.
'Mavi Marmara to be turned into a museum'
Erdogan threatens to send gunboats with next flotilla
"Currently we are waiting for the prosecutor's office to issue an order for arrest," he added.
The move came as the Istanbul Chief Prosecutor's Office appealed to the Turkish Intelligence Organization (MİT) in order to obtain information on the identities of the IDF soldiers who were involved in the raid which left nine Turks dead in May of last year, Turkish newspaper Zaman
reported on Friday.
According the paper, an affirmative answer from MİT would allow the
prosecutor to open court cases against Israeli officials including Prime
Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, President Shimon Peres, former IDF chief
of General Staff Lt.- Gen. (res.) Gabi Ashkenazi , and the soldiers
involved in the raid.
The charges would include the “willful murder and torture” and “limiting freedom” of the passengers, the paper reported.
Meanwhile, Turkish officials on Friday denied reports that Turkish Prime
Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's north African tour would include a
visit to the Gaza Strip.
A diplomat in Ankara said "Turkey doesn’t want to enrage the Egyptian authorities."