Israeli and Turkish diplomats at the UN are working on a statement regarding last year's Mavi Marmara
incident that would be acceptable to both sides and would come instead of the release of a report by a UN commission established to investigate the matter.
The UN committee, headed by former New Zealand Prime Minister Geoffrey Palmer and co-chaired by former Colombian president Alvaro Uribe, is scheduled to issue its findings in a matter of days.RELATED:'Despite flotilla setbacks, Israel still needs to prepare' 'Erdogan to Abbas: Turkey will support PA statehood bid' Ministers speak of opportunity to improve Turkey ties
However, according to Israeli government officials, one option being considered is that the two sides would issue a statement that would not dwell on what happened last May when Israeli commandos boarded the Mavi Marmara
, came under attack and killed nine Turks, but rather how to get over the incident and move forward.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, in a private meeting Monday, said it
was "too early to tell" whether there had been a turning point in the
relations with Turkey. He said, however, that the potential for change
Defense Minster Ehud Barak also addressed the ties with Turkey, telling
his Atzmaut faction that Israel had an interest in reconciling with
Turkey and returning to previous understandings with Ankara.
Barak said that Turkey was one of four key countries in the region, the
others being Saudi Arabia and Iran, with whom Israel had no ties, and
Egypt, with whom it had a peace treaty but which was undergoing major
changes. He said Israel had a keen interest in putting the past behind
it in its relations with Turkey and moving forward.
Israeli diplomatic sources said that the dramatic changes in the region
that have fundamentally altered Turkey's strategic calculus – from the
turmoil in Syria and Libya, to the less than warm embrace of Turkey from
Egypt – is also forcing Turkey to rethink its policies toward Israel.
The Palmer report was originally to be released on May 15, but was
delayed because, according to Israeli officials, the Turks did not want
the report released before the June 12 Turkish elections since it
upheld the legality of Israel's naval blockade of Gaza, thereby placing
some of the responsibility for what happened on Ankara's shoulders. The
report also, according to Israeli officials, blamed Israel for a
disproportionate use of force.
The Israeli representative to the committee, Joseph Ciechanover, and the
Turkish representative, Ozden Sanberk, are currently working on a
formula that, according to western officials, would satisfy both
The Turks are interested in an apology and compensation for the victims,
while Israel has indicated that though it is willing to express regret,
it will not accept full responsibility for the event and wants to
ensure that whatever agreement is reached puts an end to the whole
The Turkish daily Hurriyet
Monday quoted Turkish diplomats as saying that the search is now is for a
word that "would sound like an open apology in Turkish,” but not so in
According to Israeli officials, the Turks have also been unwilling up
until now to agree that any agreement would put an end to any future
claims by the families of the victims against Israel, raising concern in
Jerusalem that Ankara did not want to end the affair once and for all,
but rather wanted to leave room for future claims that would keep Israel
– in terms of this relationship – perpetually on the defensive.
Stay on top of the news - get the Jerusalem Post headlines direct to your inbox!