Media excluded from Israel-Palestinian talks

The second round of Israeli-Palestinian talks in Amman were held under an almost total media blackout.

January 10, 2012 03:06
1 minute read.
Amman talks with Blair

Amman talks with Blair_311. (photo credit: Reuters)

A second round of Israeli-Palestinian talks was held in Amman on Monday under an almost total media blackout.

While Jordanian Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh briefed reporters after the resumption of the talks last week, the first time the sides had met directly in 15 months, this time neither he nor the Israeli or Palestinian side provided a readout of the discussions.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Israeli officials have said the more the talks were held away from the public eye, the better chance they had for success.

Both sides agreed at the last meeting not to talk publicly about the substance of the talks, and let the Jordanians serve as the spokesmen. That agreement was, for the most part, honored by both sides, with criticism of the other party – or the very existence of the talks – coming from Palestinians and Israeli politicians, not those actually involved in the discussions themselves.

Israeli officials said before the beginning of Monday’s meeting that other talks have already been scheduled. There is no indication yet, however, when, and if, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu will meet Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

Representatives of the Quartet– the US, EU, Russia and the UN – were not present in Monday’s discussions, although they were the week before.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN

Israel Weather
  • 10 - 25
    Beer Sheva
    13 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 8 - 19
    12 - 20
  • 17 - 27
    12 - 24