Lt.-Col. Shalom Eisner reportedly told sources close to him on Wednesday that he had not expected IDF Chief of General Staff Lt.-Gen. Benny Gantz to censure him following an incident when Eisner slammed his service rifle into a pro-Palestinian activist's face.
Gantz announced earlier Wednesday that he had decided to remove Eisner from his post as deputy commander of the Jordan Valley Brigade, after reviewing the findings from an investigation into the incident.
According to the source, quoted by Israeli media, Eisner added that he had thought his IDF superiors would accept his version of what had transpired and would understand that the situation had been complex. Since the IDF is "showing him the door," he told the source, he would need to digest the decision and then decide what to do about his future.
On Tuesday, OC Central Command Maj.-Gen. Nitzan Alon presented the findings from his investigation against Eisner to Gantz.
The incident took place on Saturday during a pro-Palestinian demonstration on Road 90 in the Jordan Valley.
Yaakov Katz contributed to this story.
Jerusalem Post Annual Conference. Buy it now, Special offer. Come meet Israel's top leaders