Attorney-General Yehuda Weinstein should be held in contempt for failing to
comply with a judicial order on the evacuation of the Amona outpost, the
non-governmental group Yesh Din said as it petitioned the High Court of Justice
against him on Monday.
In a letter written to Prime Minister Binyamin
Netanyahu last week, Weinstein said that only one home and a portion of the
access road to Amona must be demolished by July 24.
The High Court of
Justice set that date earlier this month, when it determined that homes in Amona
could remain at their present location, until the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court
ruled on settler claims they had purchased some of the outpost land from its
But the court did not say how many of the 40 families
in Amona lived on land for which there were purchase claims.
Court added that only those homes with no purchase claim against them needed to
be demolished by July 24.
It did not explain how many homes would need to
be removed to meet its dictates.
Settlers claimed that their reading of
the court decision meant that only one home needed to be removed, while Yesh Din
said that 30 homes would have to be demolished.
Yesh Din petitioned the
High Court against the Amona outpost in 2008 on behalf of the Palestinian
landowners on whose property the outpost was built in 1995. It is located in the
Binyamin region of the West Bank, on the outskirts of the Ofra
According to the 2005 government- sponsored report on West
Bank outposts by private attorney Talia Sasson, the outpost was built on private
Palestinian property without the necessary permits.
The Construction and
Housing Ministry spent NIS 2.16 million on infrastructure for Amona, according
In compliance with the court order, settlers have already
begun to demolish the access road to Amona. But they have built an alternative
Stay on top of the news - get the Jerusalem Post headlines direct to your inbox!