Yesha Council chairman Danny Dayan spoke out on Sunday against a letter sent Thursday night to Binyamin Regional Council head Avi Ro’eh advising him that he must evacuate the Migron outpost by Tuesday morning, calling it "inflammatory."
Dayan told Israel Radio that the letter, sent by the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories Maj.-Gen. Eitan Dangot, should not have been sent and was unnecessarily inflammatory.
Migron residents and the Binyamin region on Saturday night said they are holding firm to their understanding that the evacuation of the West Bank outpost is not scheduled to occur until after a High Court of Justice hearing on the matter on Tuesday.
Dayan said that the Migron residents did not violate any law or agreement in their decision not to evacuate by Tuesday morning. "Settlers are also allowed to put their hopes on the Supreme Court and to hope that their petition will be accepted," said Dayan.
Migron residents are hopeful that the court will delay the
evacuation of 17 of the 50 outpost families, until it can determine the
authenticity of their claim that they purchased the land on which those 17
In his letter, Dangot told Ro’eh that his office and that of the Defense
Ministry had made every effort possible to facilitate a peaceful evacuation,
including providing an alternative site for the families to live.
added that the two offices were willing to help the families with the
But he warned that the IDF would forcibly evict the families if
they had not relocated by Tuesday morning.
He said that security
officials would have to reconsider whether to allow them to move into the new
homes, which are located two kilometers away near the Psagot winery.
Ro’eh said it was his understanding that the families did not have to move until
after the court hearing. He added that he had plans to move them, but was only
planning to execute them later this week.
Ro’eh said he remained hopeful
that the court would delay the evacuation, or at the very least allow the 17
families to remain.
Asking families to leave their homes is not something
that should be done lightly, he said, and it is important to do so only after
every option for a reprieve has been exhausted.
On Friday morning Migron
families held a small protest outside the Prime Minister’s Residence asking him
to halt the evacuation.
Migron resident Shuki Sad said that residents
were waiting to see what happened in court. He added that the only boxes to be
found in the outpost these days were ones that belonged to two new families who
had just moved in.
Last summer the High Court ordered the state to
evacuate the Migron outpost because it was built without permits on land
classified by the state as private Palestinian property. Migron residents had
argued that they had purchased some of the property and that other portions of
the outpost were located on land that could be reclassified as abandoned
The court and the state never recognized those
Migron residents last winter signed an agreement with the state
to relocate, based on the understanding that the process would take over two
years and that the buildings would remain on the site.
The High Court,
however, insisted that the site must be evacuated this month.
Migron residents petitioned the court to allow the 17 families to remain,
claiming that they had repurchased some of the lots.
Attorney-General’s Office in its statement to the court last week said that even
if the purchase claims were validated, it was not possible for Israelis to live
on the site without infringing on the private property rights of the Palestinian
Last week residents of the nearby Givat Assaf outpost sent a
letter to Migron residents in which they begged the 17 families to resist
“We the Givat Assaf residents, together with the nation of
Israel, will stand by your side,” they said in the letter.
help, we will be strong and be strengthened for our nation and for God’s
cities,” they said in the document, which was leaked to the media
In the letter, they made a distinction between the status of
the other 33 families who live in the outpost, and the group of 17 families who
claim to have purchased the property on which their homes are
The Givat Assaf residents noted that Migron families have
bravely fought for the right of Jews to remain in their homes in Judea and
Samaria for years.
They had respected the right of the families to make
an agreement with the government to relocate to an area by the Psagot winery,
the residents said.
They added that they had kept silent even when the
state broke many aspects of its relocation agreement with Migron residents,
including the timeline and an informal pledge that the structures would remain
on the site.
But the moment the state in its response to the court said
that the residents had to leave even if their land was legally purchased, the
situation changed significantly, the Givat Assaf residents said.
noted that this state document set a precedent that did not bode well for future
cases in which disputed land is purchased in Judea and Samaria.
Assaf outpost is located off of Route 60, a short distance away from Migron, and
was also built without permits on land classified by the state as belonging to
The 25 Givat Assaf families are also fighting a
legal battle to remain in their homes.
Jerusalem Post Annual Conference. Buy it now, Special offer. Come meet Israel's top leaders