A different take on traditional soups: using fruit.
June 27, 2011 15:04
1 minute read.
Boozy chestnut and squash soup 311.
(photo credit: Miriam Garcia)
1 tablespoon minced ginger
3 cups chopped strawberries
2 cups chopped pineapple
1 1/2 cups chopped mango
2 pieces lemon peel
2 pieces lime peel
2 pieces orange peel
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 cup blueberries
Mint sprigs, for garnish
1. Saute the ginger in a medium pot over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes (no oil is necessary).
2. Add 2 cups strawberries, 1 cup pineapple, 3/4 cup mango and the lemon, lime and orange peels; cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add water, sugar and fruit juices and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
4. Simmer for 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
5. Allow mixture to cool slightly and then transfer in batches to a blender or food processor.
6. Puree and strain into a large bowl.
7. Add remaining 1 cup strawberries, 1 cup pineapple, 3/4 cup mango and blueberries.
8. Stir to combine, cover and refrigerate until well chilled. Serve with mint sprigs for garnish.