Class OK despite fear child handed out pain killers
Twenty-six nursery school children in Rehovot taken to hospital after they were thought to have swallowed pain-relief pills.
Pills. Photo: Courtesy
Twenty-six nursery school children in Rehovot were taken to Kaplan Medical
Center after they were thought to have swallowed diplofenac, which are pills for
The youngsters, aged three and four, were discharged from
the hospital several hours later, with instructions sent to their
The pills were brought to the nursery school by one of the
children, who handed them out to the others like candy.
Dr. Baruch Gonen,
director of the pediatric emergency room at Kaplan, said that each child was
examined for blood pressure, pulse and oxygen saturation, and – if anyone did
swallow the pills – no one suffered any problems.
Meanwhile, in another
incident, the Health Ministry said on Thursday that it received reports of a
woman working in a Rehovot kindergarten who had been diagnosed with
tuberculosis. The woman is a substitute teacher five days a week in five
different kindergartens. In each one, about 35 children aged four and five are
Because the woman’s throat swabs were found to be negative, the
ministry said, the risk of TB to the children was thought to be very low, but to
make sure, the children and the other staff members will be sent for a special
test to rule out infection.