Poisonous viper ‘greets’ teenager at friend’s house
Stav Buhbut was visiting her best friend at Moshav Gefen near the Masmiya junction.
STAV BUHBUT recovers from snakebite Photo: Kaplan Medical Center
A teenage girl, bitten by a Palestinian viper last week, was given anti-serum
and treated in intensive care at Rehovot’s Kaplan Medical Center.
Buhbut was visiting her best friend at Moshav Gefen near the Masmiya
She stood near the front door when a viper emerged from a bush
and bit her in the right leg, but managed to move away before the reptile
reached her other limb.
Very weak, vomiting and with a swollen leg, she
was rushed to the hospital by her friend’s mother. Buhbut is now in good
Her mother, Yaffa, said it was fortunate that the snake did
not manage to bite her on both legs, and that her friend’s mother was present
and able to take her immediately to the hospital.
Dr. Gennady Bergman, a
senior intensive care unit physician, said the girl arrived in moderate to
But after receiving the anti-serum, her condition
improved. In the intensive care unit, she was kept under observation to ensure
she did not suffer breathing problems or clotting. Her quick arrival and
treatment at the hospital saved her life, Bergman said.
the intensive care unit’s chief nurse, said there are many snakes about this
time of the year, especially in grassy areas in kibbutzim, moshavim and other
agricultural areas. “Be alert, and don’t walk about in the dark in areas with
thorny plants that have a water source that is relatively cool,” she
The signs of snakebite are reduced consciousness, a growing feeling
of choking, confusion and redness and swelling in a limb.