A return to its former glory
ByGIL STERN STERN ZOHAR
July 17, 2014 09:48
The Old City’s landmark Tiferet Israel Synagogue is the last of those
destroyed in 1948 to be rebuilt.
Tiferet Israel Synagogue.
(photo credit:Wikimedia Commons)
While there was recently a cornerstone-laying ceremony to rebuild the Old City’s Tiferet Israel Synagogue, don’t expect to see the 20-meter-high new/old hassidic landmark return to its former glory anytime soon.The synagogue was dedicated in 1872 and dynamited by Jordan’s Arab Legion in 1948. Speaking at the cornerstone ceremony in May, Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat referred to the building as “one of the important symbols of the Jewish community in Jerusalem.” He stated that “the municipality attaches great importance to the preservation and restoration of heritage sites in Jerusalem, and we will continue to maintain the heritage of Israel in this city.”