Chinese coal mine blast kills 62, 13 missing

December 8, 2005 04:00

A coal mine blast in northern China left at least 62 workers dead and another 13 missing, a government official said Thursday, marking the third massive coal mine disaster to hit China's disaster-plagued industry in recent weeks. The explosion occurred Wednesday at the privately run Liuguantun Colliery in Tangshan, a city in Hebei province, when 186 miners were underground, said an official with the Tangshan Coal Mine and Safety Bureau who would only give his surname Zhang. Eighty-two managed escaped on their own and 32 miners were immediately rescued but three of those later died, Zhang said. The bodies of 59 miners had been recovered from the mine by early Thursday, bringing the death toll to 62, he said. Rescuers were searching for 13 still trapped in the mine.

More about:Hebei

Related Content

Nicolas Sarkozy
March 20, 2018
Police detain Sarkozy over illegal campaign funding from Libya


Israel Weather
  • 13 - 28
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 22
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 13 - 23
    12 - 22
  • 18 - 31
    14 - 28