US: Detainee assaults on Gitmo guards down 60% over last year

By
August 31, 2007 19:59

Assaults on guards at the Guantanamo Bay prison dropped by more than 60 percent since last year as the camp tightened security and released dozens of prisoners, but mass disturbances nearly doubled, the US military said in a new report. A one-page report titled "Danger Inside the Wire" said 385 mass disturbances occurred among detainees at the Guantanamo Bay Naval base in southeast Cuba in the first six months of 2007, compared to 201 during the same period a year earlier. Army Lt.-Col. Ed Bush said the figure includes assaults or "other acts" involving at least three detainees that were intended to disrupt operations at the detention center, where about 355 men remain held without charges on suspicion of terrorism or links to al-Qaida or the Taliban.


Related Content

February 21, 2018
US court forbids seizure of Persian artifacts by Jerusalem bomb victims

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 11 - 21
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 17
    Jerusalem
    12 - 17
    Haifa
  • 14 - 25
    Elat
    11 - 22
    Tiberias