US: Man burned after cell phone ignites in pocket

January 16, 2007 04:06

A cell phone apparently ignited in a man's pocket and started a fire that burned his hotel room and caused severe burns over half his body, fire department officials said. Luis Picaso, 59, was in stable condition Monday with second- and third-degree burns to his upper body, back, right arm and right leg, Vallejo Fire Department assistant chief Kurt Henke said. Firefighters arrived at the residential hotel Saturday night to find Picaso lying on the bathroom floor after a malfunctioning cell phone in his pants pocket set fire to his nylon and polyester clothes, Henke said. Authorities declined to name the phone's manufacturer and model.

Related Content

March 21, 2018
James Packer from Netanyahu probe quits casino board, cites mental illness


Israel Weather
  • 14 - 30
    Beer Sheva
    14 - 25
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 16 - 24
    12 - 24
  • 20 - 33
    14 - 29