Couple hospitalized in serious condition after eating blowfish

By JPOST.COM STAFF
May 9, 2009 23:13

A couple from Kiryat Yam was evacuated in serious condition to Rambam Hospital in Haifa after eating fish, apparently a blowfish, Israel Radio reported Saturday evening. The two, aged 47 and 48, called an ambulance complaining of serious stomach aches. On the way to the hospital, the wife lost consciousness, stopped breathing and went into cardiac arrest. The husband's condition also deteriorated as he arrived in the hospital. The blowfish is edible but some parts of it, especially the liver and other internal organs, are extremely poisonous. A physician at the hospital said there was no antidote for the poison, the only treatment being an iron lung and constant monitoring. The couple's condition was life-threatening.


Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN

Israel Weather
  • 15 - 30
    Beer Sheva
    18 - 25
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 15 - 26
    Jerusalem
    16 - 25
    Haifa
  • 20 - 36
    Elat
    17 - 32
    Tiberias