(photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)
A day after a Petah Tikva court said there was not enough evidence to indict
alleged Jewish terrorist Haim Pearlman, police and the Shin Bet (Israel Security
Agency) have reportedly arrested a fourth suspect they say helped Pearlman carry
out four murders of Palestinian men in Jerusalem in the late-1990s, according to
a legal organization representing Pearlman.
The suspect is a 24-year-old
resident of the West Bank settlement of Tekoa, where Pearlman, a 30-year-old
father of three, once lived. The suspect would have been between 11 and 13 years
old at the time police suspect he helped carry out the killings.
the arrest first appeared on the Web site of Honenu, a legal defense
organization that helps Israeli Jews involved in altercations with Arabs and is
providing Pearlman’s defense. Police and the Shin Bet would not confirm the
At a remand hearing held at the Petah Tikva Magistrate’s Court on
Monday, Judge Nahum Streinlicht denied a request to extend Pearlman’s remand by
12 days, agreeing instead to a two-day extension.
Streinlicht said the 28
days Pearlman had already been in custody should have been enough to find
evidence sufficient for an indictment.
Shin Bet and Israel Police
arrested Pearlman, a resident of Beit Rabban near Yavne, in July, as the
suspect in the stabbing deaths.
Shortly after his arrest, associates gave
Channel 2 audio recordings made by Pearlman, in which an alleged Shin
urged him to kill Raed Salah, the head of the Islamic Movement’s
Pearlman has contended that he was framed by the Shin Bet and
that he had no connection to the murders.