Yeshiva head arrested for shooting

Rabbi allegedly shot and wounded one of his students early January.

May 4, 2010 18:40
1 minute read.
Yeshiva head arrested for shooting

yeshiva 63. (photo credit: )

Jerusalem police on Tuesday cleared for publication the details of a shooting in the capital’s haredi Beit Israel neighborhood nearly four months ago, in which the head of a yeshiva in the area allegedly shot and wounded one of his students after a dispute had erupted between them.

The 47-year-old rabbi, whose yeshiva was established as a sort of halfway house for rehabilitated criminals and prisoners serving alternate sentences, was arrested a number of days ago after investigators said they had enough evidence to tie him to the crime.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

In early January, police responded to reports of a shooting in the Beit Israel neighborhood where eyewitnesses told them that two men on a motorcycle had fired at a yeshiva student before fleeing the scene.

The yeshiva student, whom police identified as 23-year-old Eliyahu Liberty, was wounded in the leg, although he also fled the scene and was only found later by police in a Haifa hospital.

Both Liberty and the rabbi have previous criminal records, and the latter, whose name along with the name of his yeshiva have not been cleared for publication by police, established the institution after being released from prison, where he served two years for attempted murder.

According to police, the rabbi called Liberty on January 9 to tell him that he had been expelled from the yeshiva and that he needed to come gather his belongings. Liberty arrived at the yeshiva accompanied by two of his friends, when they were suddenly approached by two men on a motorcycle, one of whom was masked. The masked man fired at Liberty, who began to run away, although the motorcycle gave chase and additional shots were fired, hitting Liberty twice in the leg.

When he fell, the police report continues, the masked man dismounted the motorcycle and hit Liberty on the head with his weapon. Footage from a nearby security camera shows the two men riding off, leaving Liberty lying bloody on the ground.

Liberty later told investigators that he was afraid to report the incident, and had asked his friends to take him to his family’s home in the north. However, when he continued to lose large amounts of blood, his family evacuated him to a Haifa hospital, where he was later located by police.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Israel Weather
  • 16 - 23
    Beer Sheva
    20 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 18 - 18
    18 - 20
  • 25 - 32
    20 - 23