Fifteen suspected gunmen were killed in the Sinai Peninsula by rocket fire,
Egyptian state TV reported on Tuesday, after witnesses said army helicopters had
attacked terrorist strongholds in the area.
The state-run Nile TV gave no
further details in a brief report. The army helicopters had targeted two
villages south of Sheikh Zuweid, a town near the border with Israel and the Gaza
An army source said a ground operation was under way with air
cover, but declined to give further details because it was still
Security sources said government helicopter strikes had
killed at least eight armed men and wounded 15, and had been aimed at stores of
arms and explosives in the Sinai.
Four Apache helicopters fired at
several locations in the northern Sinai and targeted arms depots, Ahram Online
The Egyptian newspaper Al-Shorouk reported that at the end of
the air operations, ground forces will be sent in to assess the
Meanwhile, the Egyptian daily Youm Al- Sabaa said that there
is a heavy security presence in all parts of northern Sinai, and that all the
routes have been closed to traffic since the curfew went into effect on the main
roads from four in the afternoon.
Terrorist attacks on security forces in
the lawless north Sinai region have increased since the army, prompted by mass
protests, ousted Egypt’s first elected Islamist president, Mohamed Morsi, on