NAIROBI - Two charred corpses recovered from Kenya's Westgate shopping mall are "highly likely" to be two of the gunmen who killed at least 67 people last month, a lawmaker probing the attack said on Friday.
The September 21 mall attack, which was claimed by the Somali Islamist militant group al Shabaab, was the worst on Kenyan soil since al Qaeda bombed the US Embassy in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, in 1998, killing more than 200.
Ndung'u Gethenji, chairman of parliament's Defence and Foreign Relations Committee, said the corpses had been pulled from under rubble on Thursday in a part of the mall which had collapsed.
"All the indications are that they are the attackers," Gethenji told Reuters.
"The area they were excavating is consistent with the area (the gunmen) were trapped in during the operation."
Automatic AK-47 rifles of a model not used by Kenyan security forces and a rocket-propelled grenade were found close to the two bodies, said Gethenji, who is co-chairing the parliamentary investigation into possible intelligence failures.