print gohome
jpost
 
Print Edition
Photo by: REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
White House: World security hinges on success of Iran nuclear deal
By Michael Wilner
17/01/2014
Obama administration outlines Geneva technical agreement between world powers, Islamic Republic.
 

WASHINGTON -- "For the sake of our national security and the peace and security of the world," diplomacy with Iran must be given a chance to succeed, the White House charged on Thursday, issuing a detailed breakdown of the technical nuclear agreement reached in Geneva this week between Iran and world powers.

The Joint Plan of Action— the official name for the interim nuclear deal reached in Geneva in November— will freeze Iran's enrichment of uranium to levels beyond any civilian energy use, and will halt progress on its production of a plutonium facility in Arak, in exchange for $6-7 billion in sanctions relief.

The United Nations International Atomic Energy Agency will be "solely responsible for verifying and confirming all nuclear-related measures," the White House said, adding that world powers and Iran would establish a joint commission that ensures the IAEA is sufficiently enforcing and abiding by the paln.

Iran will begin diluting half of its uranium stockpile already enriched to 20 percent on January 20, the administration announced, a condition that will be fully completed within the six-month timeframe.

Under the agreement, Iran is allowed to continue centrifuge production to replace damaged machines in Natanz and Fordow, where limited uranium enrichment will continue at low levels.

Iran is also allowed to continue research into advanced centrifuge technology, though the White House noted in the Thursday document that Iran cannot widen its research scope "beyond its current enrichment R&D practices."

Natanz and Fordow, two of Iran's largest nuclear plants, will be subject to daily IAEA inspector access.

"The IAEA and Iran are working to update procedures, which will permit IAEA inspectors to review surveillance information on a daily basis to shorten detection time for any Iranian non-compliance," the White House said.

In exchange, the P5+1— the US, United Kingdom, France, Russia, China and Germany— will release eight installments of $450-550 million in restricted Iranians funds over the six-month period. Iran will have access to the remaining funds, $4.2 billion, on the very last day before the agreement expires.

The US does not yet have a plan with its international partners on how to proceed with talks toward a comprehensive agreement, the outline suggested, noting that talks between P5 and EU partners would focus on coordinating a joint approach.

"The United States will determine with our P5+1 partners our approach to the comprehensive solution," the White House added. "Discussions with Iran will follow that coordination process."

Reacting to the published outline, Senator Mark Kirk expressed doubt that all details had been made available in comments to The Jerusalem Post.

“The Iran deal shouldn’t be kept secret from the American people," Kirk said. "If the White House is proud of the deal, it should be able to withstand public scrutiny in its entirety.”

print gohome
print
All rights reserved © 1995 - 2012 The Jerusalem Post.