print gohome
The Jerusalem Post - Israel News
 
Yemeni official says kidnapped Iranian diplomat still alive
By REUTERS
02/02/2014
 
SANAA/DUBAI - An Iranian embassy official kidnapped in the Yemeni capital Sanaa in July is still alive, a Yemeni security official said on Sunday, disputing an earlier report that he had been found beheaded.

Last month a provincial official said local people had found the body of the diplomat in an area north of oil fields in Maarib province.

At the time Iran's Student News Agency quoted an Iranian embassy official as denying that the headless body belonged to the missing employee.

On Sunday a Yemeni security official who declined to be named told Reuters:

"Contacts with the Iranian diplomat's kidnappers through tribal mediators confirm that he (the diplomat) is still alive and that the body found did not belong to him," the security official told Reuters.

Iran's official IRNA news agency on Sunday quoted Yemen's charge d'affaires in Tehran, Abdullah al-Sari, as saying:
print gohome
print

Copyright © 2014 Jpost Inc. All rights reserved • Terms of UsePrivacy Policy