Don't feed the animals

A 10-year-old raccoon in the Ra'anana's park's small zoo choked to death on a plastic Bamba bag last week.

By MIRIAM BULWAR DAVID-HAY
November 1, 2007 11:27

A 10-year-old raccoon in the Ra'anana's park's small zoo choked to death on a plastic Bamba bag last week, reports local.co.il. It was the fourth animal in the zoo to die after ingesting foreign products in recent years, despite clear signs telling visitors not to feed or give items to the animals. According to the report, zoo-keepers who found the dead raccoon sent it for an autopsy, which discovered the plastic bag lodged in the animal's throat. Three deer in the zoo - including one pregnant female - also died of choking or of bowel blockages after ingesting foreign substances or inappropriate foods. Numerous signs around the enclosure warn visitors not to feed the animals, and even mayor Nahum Hofree has now urged the public to "care for the welfare of the animals and refrain from giving them food that is likely to endanger their health."


Related Content

JERUSALEM: RESETTLED upon its desolation
December 19, 2010
Vying for control of the Temple Mount – on Foursquare

By SHARON UDASIN

Israel Weather
  • 11 - 31
    Beer Sheva
    14 - 25
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 14 - 27
    Jerusalem
    13 - 25
    Haifa
  • 18 - 33
    Elat
    15 - 32
    Tiberias