11 die in NATO strike on Libyan command center

"We regret any loss of life by innocent civilians," NATO says in a statement; 45 wounded; state TV says most of dead are religious clerics.

By REUTERS
May 14, 2011 04:40
1 minute read.
A Libyan building damaged from NATO airstrikes

A Libyan building damaged from NATO airstrikes 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Louafi Larbi)

BRUSSELS - A NATO air strike on the eastern Libyan city of Brega on Friday that the Libyan government said killed 11 people and wounded 45, was directed against a "command and control bunker", the alliance said.

"We are aware of allegations of civilian casualties in connection to this strike, and although we cannot independently confirm the validity of the claim, we regret any loss of life by innocent civilians when they occur," NATO said in a statement.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
'NATO strikes in Libya target Gaddafi compound'
Gaddafi: I am in a place you cannot kill me

It said the building struck had been clearly identified as a command-and-control centre.

Earlier on Friday, when asked about the report on Libyan state television, a NATO spokesman said he had no knowledge of a strike on Brega.

Libyan state television showed footage on Friday of at least nine bodies with multiple wounds, wrapped in blankets. It said the attack occurred at dawn and most of the victims were clerics who had gathered for a religious ceremony.

Click for full Jpost coverage of 
turmoil in the Middle East


Related Content

April 20, 2018
International inspection vehicles arrive at site of Syria chemical weapons attack

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 14 - 25
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 22
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 21
    Jerusalem
    15 - 21
    Haifa
  • 19 - 36
    Elat
    17 - 28
    Tiberias