An assassination attempt was made on Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman in recent days, Fox News reported on Saturday.

Two of Suleiman's bodyguards were killed in the attack, according to the report.

Obama challenges Mubarak: Consider your legacy
'US working on plan for immediate Mubarak departure'
Suleiman: Muslim Brotherhood invited to meet with gov't

Suleiman had been Egypt's Intel chief but was appointed the country's first vice president in the thirty year reign of President Hosni Mubarak following the start of mass protests against the regime last week.

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs declined to address the reports of an assassination attempt.

On Friday, Suleiman told the ABC television network that Egypt will uphold the current peace agreement with Israel without violations.

"Yes we will have a peace agreement," Suleiman said after he was asked whether peace will remain. "We will keep it firmly and not violate it at all.

When questioned about the conversation held with US President Barack Obama regarding Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's resignation, Suleiman said: "My telephone call with [US Secretary of State Hilary] Clinton...We discussed this issue but she didn't ask that President Mubarak step down now. But I told her it was a process, and at the end of it, President Mubarak will leave."

Suleiman explained that the outcome in Egypt would not be similar to that of Tunisia, which resulted in Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali to leave the country with his family. He said Mubarak did not intend on leaving Egypt.

"No, Egypt will not be anything like Tunisia," he said. "This is different. You know that our president is a fighter. He lived on this soil and he will die on this soil."

Click here for full Jpost coverage of unrest in Egypt


Reacting to the clashes between pro-Mubarak supports and anti-government protesters, Suleiman said: "It's a bad thing to see and we've never had this before. Emotionally they went to the streets to express their feelings to our president. And we don't know why they went to Tahrir Square."


"I believe that they are from our society," Suleiman added. "They are not foreigners, but for sure, these people have been supported by foreigners."

Suleiman also told Amanpour that he would not run for re-election.

Please LIKE our Facebook page - it makes us stronger