Egypt court accepts Mubarak appeal, orders retrial

By REUTERS
January 13, 2013 11:45

Ousted former Egyptian president and former interior minister are granted a retrial over the killings of protesters in 2011 uprising.




Mubarak is wheeled out of courtroom

Former Egyptian president Mubarak in court 370. (photo credit:REUTERS/Stringer)

CAIRO - An Egyptian court accepted an appeal by ousted former president Hosni Mubarak and his former interior minister on Sunday, allowing him to be retried over the killings of protesters in the 2011 uprising.

Mubarak and former interior minister Habib al-Adli were sentenced to life in prison in June last year in a court ruling that held them responsible for the deaths of protesters killed by security forces trying to quell the uprising.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"The court has ruled to accept the appeal filed by the defendants ... and orders a retrial," Judge Ahmed Ali Abdel Rahman said.

Crowds of Mubarak supporters attending the trial cheered.

The 84-year-old former leader was moved from prison to a military hospital in late December after breaking ribs in a fall.

"The retrial will be based on the same evidence used in the previous trial. No new evidence will be added to the case," Mohamed Abdel Razek, one of Mubarak's lawyers, told Reuters.

He added that the new panel of judges could consider Mubarak's health when issuing a verdict.

The court has also ordered a retrial of al-Adli's aides.

Related Content
Nikki Haley
October 18, 2017
Haley to UN Security Council: Don't turn a blind eye to Iran

By TOVAH LAZAROFF

Israel Weather
  • 16 - 35
    Beer Sheva
    19 - 32
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 17 - 29
    Jerusalem
    19 - 31
    Haifa
  • 21 - 36
    Elat
    20 - 35
    Tiberias