Yemen hands over ex-Gitmo detainee to Saudi Arabia

By
February 17, 2009 21:56

Yemen said it has handed over a Saudi ex-Guantanamo detainee turned al-Qaida field commander to Saudi authorities. The Interior Ministry said Abu al-Hareth Muhammad al-Oufi was repatriated to Saudi Arabia on Tuesday after he surrendered to authorities. Al-Oufi was one of 85 men listed on Saudi's recently released most-wanted list. The former detainee at the US military detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba appeared in a militant video last month where he said he left Saudi Arabia for Yemen and was now an al-Qaida field commander in Yemen. In the video, al-Oufi said his Guantanamo prison number was 333. The Pentagon says prisoner 333 was released from Guantanamo in November 2007 and sent back to Saudi Arabia.


Related Content

TURKISH PRESIDENT Tayyip Erdogan addresses members of the parliament from his AK Party in Ankara.
April 25, 2018
Turkish parties jockey for position ahead of snap election at end of June

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN

Israel Weather
  • 15 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 14 - 20
    Jerusalem
    17 - 23
    Haifa
  • 19 - 28
    Elat
    17 - 30
    Tiberias