International Criminal Court (ICC) chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said Thursday that Libyan prosecutors have collected "great evidence" against the son of former dictator Moammar Gaddafi, according to a CNN report.

Libya's new government and the ICC have wrestled with who would try Saif al-Islam Gaddafi since he was captured in November 2011.

On February 26, 2011, the United Nations Security Council referred a number of Libya war crimes cases to the ICC Prosecutor. On June 27, 2011, the ICC issued three arrest warrants for Muammar Mohammed Abu Minyar Gaddafi, Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi and Abdullah Al-Senussi for crimes against humanity.

The two other suspects besides Saif remain at large.

Earlier this month, the ICC demanded that Libya hand Saif over to be brought to trial for crimes against humanity, but Libya appealed the decision.

Libyan interim Prime Minister Abdurrahim El-Keib told CNN that Gadhafi could "absolutely" get a fair trial in Libya and that he Libyans, not the ICC, should bring him to justice.

"We intend to project the real image of the new Libya," he said. Questioned about human rights groups' doubts that Libya can provide Saif a balanced trial, he responded: "I can guarantee you that we will prove them wrong, we are ready ... to go and give him the proper justice and a fair trial."

The ICC prosecutor visited Libya on Thursday where he said it was possible that the ICC would drop its objections to Libya holding the trial.

Moreno-Ocampo added that Libyan prosecutors disclosed to him that they had interviewed witnesses, gathered phone intercepts and documents and possessed specific evidence showing Saif allegedly perpetrating crimes with his own hands, not just ordering it, he said to CNN.

"Now Libya has to present this to the judges. And they promised to do that," he added.

Please LIKE our Facebook page - it makes us stronger