Abbas in Turkey vows to return to Security Council with renewed statehood bid

Abbas accuses Israeli government of employing “systematic plan to alter the identity of Jerusalem and choking its residents.”

By
January 13, 2015 03:08
1 minute read.
Ankara

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas reviews the guards of honour during a welcoming ceremony at the Presidential Palace in Ankara January 12. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas announced on Monday that the Palestinians would become full members of the International Criminal Court as of April 1.

Abbas made the announcement during a joint press conference with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Abbas said that the Palestinians would soon go back to the UN Security Council to seek a resolution establishing a timeline for an Israeli withdrawal to the pre-1967 lines.

“We’ll go back to the Security Council after consulting with our brothers and friends,” Abbas said.

Last month, the Palestinians failed in securing a majority of votes in favor of the proposed resolution.

“Nothing will stop us from pursuing our march to extract the rights of our people to freedom and independence,” Abbas said. However, he did not set a date for the renewed Palestinian statehood bid at the Security Council.

Abbas accused the Israeli government of employing a “systematic plan to alter the identity of Jerusalem and choking its residents.”

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


He also repeated his warning against turning the political and national conflict with Israel into a religious one and thanked Turkey for its continued support for the Palestinians, especially those living in the Gaza Strip.

Referring to ongoing tensions between Fatah and Hamas, Abbas said that the only solution was to hold new presidential and parliamentary elections in the Palestinian territories.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The results of a fire started by an incendiary balloon over the Sukkot holiday, September 2018
September 24, 2018
Incendiary balloons cause over a dozen fires over Sukkot

By TAMARA ZIEVE