Drivers take cover as sirens sounds in Tel Aviv .
(photo credit: REUTERS)
Yair Farjun, head of the Hof Ashkelon regional council, spoke on Army Radio Friday morning about the return of the code red sirens as Israel experienced sporadic renewed rocket fire this week from the Gaza Strip.
"The moment we hear the siren, hundreds of people freeze and they begin to ask themselves 'what will I be doing for the next hour? Should I leave my house or not? What will I do tomorrow?'"
Farjun added that "just one year ago we were hearing 12 sirens a day. Our bodies have already gotten used to the sirens. There are rockets falling and our lives are in danger."
A rocket was fired in the direction of the Ashkelon region once again on Thursday night sending the citizens of the south running for shelter. An IDF source stated that the projectile failed to cross into Israel and landed in Gaza.
Gaza reported the launching of one rocket and citizens in the south of the country reported hearing a loud explosion.
Responsibility for the latest round for rocket fire has been claimed by the radical Islamist Salafist group calling itself the Omar Brigades.
Earlier on Friday at a press conference a spokesman for the Salafi group which is openly affiliated with ISIS told reporters that there is no agreement between the Salafis and Hamas. "We will continue to fire rockets at Israel," he said. The spokesman also demanded that all Salfi activists be released from Hamas prisons.
"Hamas is to blame and will pay the price," he said. The spokesman explained that situation in Gaza between Hamas and the Salafis is only getting worse by the minute and it is this situation that is leading to rockets being fired into Israel.
Now is the time to join the news event of the year - The Jerusalem Post Annual Conference!
For more information and to sign up, click here>>