‘Millions of Israelis will be displaced in next war with Hezbollah,’ Nasrallah vows

The Lebanese Shi’ite leader made the remarks just days after Israeli authorities conducted a series of drills simulating war.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
June 5, 2015 18:18
1 minute read.
An Israeli man stands with his children at the scene of a rocket attack in Haifa, August 13, 2006

An Israeli man stands with his children at the scene of a rocket attack in Haifa, August 13, 2006. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Hassan Nasrallah, the secretary-general of Hezbollah, gave a televised address on Friday vowing to “displace millions of Israelis in the coming war...if it was imposed on Lebanon.”

The Lebanese Shi’ite leader made the remarks just days after Israeli authorities conducted a series of drills. Some Israeli military officers have been quoted in recent weeks as saying that a future confrontation with Hezbollah would result in large numbers of displaced Lebanese.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Nasrallah's speech, which was broadcast to a ceremony featuring scouts of the Hezbollah al-Mahdi youth movement, was reported by the Lebanese news site Naharnet.

Earlier this week, a senior military source said that in the event of a new conflict with Hezbollah, the IDF would seek to evacuate more than a million civilians in south Lebanon within 24 hours before proceeding to strike thousands of Hezbollah targets in some 240 villages and built-up regions.

Large-scale Hezbollah rocket and missile fire would be met with civilian evacuations, massive Israeli aerial strikes, followed by a ground offensive, the source said.

Discussing a new strategy for dealing with Hezbollah’s battle doctrine of using civilian built-up areas as military bases to rain death and destruction upon Israel, the source spoke as the IDF approached the conclusion of a week-long drill simulating conflict on multiple fronts, including the Israel Air Force practicing striking of large numbers of targets and simulating conflict in northern combat arenas.

In his speech on Friday, Nasrallah dismissed the threats as “psychological warfare.”



"We do not fear your war or threats, and nothing has changed if you believe that we are preoccupied with Syria," Nasrallah said. "The drill is an acknowledgement of the capabilities of the resistance."

"Their threats are not new and they are repeating themselves," the Hezbollah chief said. "I tell the Israelis that the world has changed and the proof is their drill."

Yaakov Lappin contributed to this report.

Related Content

July 16, 2018
Israel halts flow of gas and fuel into Gaza

By TOVAH LAZAROFF, KHALED ABU TOAMEH