Palestinian Authority presents file documenting 'settler terrorism' to ICC prosecutor

The decision to hand over the file to the ICC came in the aftermath of last week’s arson attack in the village of Douma that killed 18-month-old Ali Dawabsha.

By
August 3, 2015 17:21
1 minute read.
Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas gestures as he speaks during a meeting in Ramallah

Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas gestures as he speaks during a meeting for the Central Council of the Palestinian Liberation Organization in Ramallah. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Palestinian Authority Foreign Minister Riad Malki on Monday handed prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) Fatou Bensouda a file documenting “settler terrorism,” including Friday’s firebombing in Duma, and called on the court to launch an investigation into the situation in the Palestinian territories, accusing Israel of committing war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Malki, who met with Bensadou in The Hague, said the presentation was made on instructions from PA President Mahmoud Abbas. In June, the PA had presented another file concerning the settlements to the court.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


In addition, he briefed the ICC prosecutor on the “dangerous developments” in the Palestinian territories, especially the arson attack in the West Bank village of Duma on Friday that killed Palestinian toddler Ali Dawabsha and seriously injured his parents and four-year old brother.

The continuation of “occupation” and settlements paved the way for such crimes, Malki said.
Terror attack in Duma

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon have said they are determined to find the perpetrators of the attack and bring them to justice. The Security Cabinet on Sunday authorized a number of steps, including the use of administrative detentions, so law officials could move quickly against the attackers.

An Israeli official on Monday said the ICC was established to deal with situations where there was no legal system in place to handle such attacks and, therefor, the Palestinians are a more logical subject for an ICC investigation given the Palestinian Authority’s failure to pursue those who commit terror attacks against Israelis.

Ya’alon condemned Jewish terror on Monday, saying, “We intend to fight Jewish terror with determination and without compromise.



“This is a struggle over the character of the state of Israel and we have no intention of giving up this fight.”

Ya’alon continued by stating that he intended to push for administrative detention of Jewish terrorists, in order to send a message to the citizens of Israel.

“This method will be one of steps taken to strike Jewish terrorism in order to bring them to justice and protect the democracy of Israel and its citizens.”

Tovah Lazaroff and Jerusalem Post staff contributed to this report.

Related Content

MUFTI OF JERUSALEM Mohammed Hussein (right) walks in front of the Dome of the Rock in 2007
July 18, 2018
Jerusalem mufti warns that Israeli excavations ‘endanger’ Al-Aksa

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH