2 IPS officers placed on leave pending probe of role in beating of Eritrean

October 26, 2015 18:01


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Two Israel Prison Service officers have been placed on forced leave pending a hearing, days after they were arrested for their alleged role in the beating of an Eritrean man suspected of being a terrorist.

The IPS said the two men – Inspector Ronen Cohen and an unnamed guard – were not terminated and that after the hearing it is likely they will be suspended.

The two suspects are among four that were arrested by Negev subdistrict police last Wednesday, for their alleged role in the beating of Haptom Zarhum, 29, who died after he was mistaken for a terrorist and shot by a security guard and beaten by a number of passersby as he lay incapacitated on the floor of the Beersheba bus station.

The arrests were made Wednesday after police announced that an autopsy had determined that Zarhum had died from the gunshots and not the beating.

Zarhum was attacked at the same time that a Beduin man from Hura carried out a terror attack at the station, during which he murdered IDF soldier Omri Levy, 19, and wounded several other Israelis. 

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 21, 2018
Trump: U.S. to exit nuclear treaty, citing Russian violations