WELLINGTON, New Zealand — Three crewmen are missing and three bodies have been pulled from cold southerly waters east of New Zealand after a South Korean fishing boat sank early Wednesday morning, officials said.
Some 45 other crew members — a mix of Korean, Indonesian and Filipino nationals — were rescued and taken aboard a New Zealand vessel that was fishing in the area at the time about 440 miles (700 kilometers) east of South Island.
The ship's master is among the three crew of the Oyang 70 who have not been found, said New Zealand's Rescue Coordination Center spokesman Mike Roberts.
"We have so far recovered five life rafts but have been advised there was a sixth life raft on board," he said. "We remain hopeful of locating the three missing men."
The three recovered bodies were all Indonesian crewmen.