36 die as Ecuadorean bus runs off road, overturns

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 30, 2010 01:55

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

QUITO, Ecuador – A bus ran off a highway and overturned on Sunday, killing at least 36 people, Ecuadorean officials said. At least 12 others were badly hurt.

The bus was on a straight, well-paved strip of highway about 55 miles (95 kilometers) south of its destination, Quito, when the accident occurred at 3:20 a.m. (4:20 EDT; 0820 GMT), police said.

"It seems like the driver fell asleep," said transit police spokesman Juan Zapata, though the cause of the crash remains under investigation. Police said that driver Luis Mogrovejo, who died in the accident, had been at the wheel for at least seven hours.

Silvia Zumba of the Latacunga police department said the bus from the Turismo Oriental line had left the city of Cuenca with about 30 passengers and had picked up others along the way.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 16, 2018
Netanyahu visits Sderot after tense weekend of rocket fire

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF