Afghanistan: 52 die in NATO attack; alliance disputes

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
July 27, 2010 04:19

KABUL — The Afghan government has said that 52 civilians, including women and children, died when a NATO rocket struck a village in southern Afghanistan last week — a report disputed by the international coalition.

The allegation Monday was raised as the founder of WikiLeaks claimed thousands of US attacks could be investigated for evidence of war crimes, and a leading human rights group alleged that NATO has an "incoherent process" for dealing with civilian casualties.

Some of the more than 90,000 secret US military documents on the Afghanistan war posted Sunday on the Web by WikiLeaks included unreported incidents of Afghan civilian killings.

A statement by President Hamid Karzai's office said an investigation by Afghan intelligence determined that a NATO rocket slammed into the village of Rigi in the Sangin district of Helmand province, one of the most violent areas of the country.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 22, 2018
U.S. bombs Syrian army position

By REUTERS