Antitrust Authority blocks Golan-Cellcom merger

April 12, 2016 12:26


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Antitrust Authority on Tuesday blocked a proposed merger between Golan Telecom and Cellcom, arguing that joining the companies would reduce competition in the market and raise prices for consumers.

"An analysis carried out by the Authority showed that the disappearance of Golan from the market is liable to also have an adverse effect on the behavior of Hot Mobile, another company that creates competition in the cellular market, since the pressure on it to compete will be reduced significantly," the authority wrote in a statement.

Golan and Hot both entered the market following a major cellular reform led by then-communications minister Moshe Kahlon. Their entry led to a significant drop in prices, which manifested itself in a 38% drop in cellular profits between 2010 and 2014.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
American University on lockdown, reports of armed intruder nearby