Belgium holds two on suspicion of links to Paris attacks

By REUTERS
December 3, 2015 14:50

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BRUSSELS- Belgium is holding two suspects on suspicion of participating in terrorist activities, prosecutors said on Thursday, bringing the number of people it has charged over links to the Paris attacks to eight.

The federal prosecutor's office said in a statement that French national Samir Z., born in 1995, had been detained at Brussels airport on Sunday as he was boarding a plane bound for Morocco.

Prosecutors said he is suspected of having attempted to go to Syria at least twice in 2015 and is considered to be part of the entourage of Bilal Hadfi, one of the Paris suicide bombers who had been living in Belgium.

Belgian Pierre N., born in 1987, was also detained during a search at his home in the Brussels district of Molenbeek on Sunday morning.

Both appeared before a court on Thursday, prosecutors said, confirming they would remain in custody for a month.

Attacks on Paris bars, restaurants, a soccer stadium and a concert hall killed 130 people on Nov. 13, and Islamic State claimed responsibility.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
Uri Avnery, former Knesset Member and peace activist, passes away at 94

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF