Berlin police release Islamist-linked men suspected of planning attack

By REUTERS
November 27, 2015 21:58
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Berlin police said they had released two men on Friday who were suspected of planning an attack and had been arrested on Thursday evening in connection with a search at an Islamic cultural center in the German capital.

The German newspaper Tagesspiegel, citing security sources, said the two men from Syria and Tunisia had links to Islamic State, which may have been planning an attack in the western city of Dortmund,

But Interior Minister Ralf Jaeger of North-Rhine Westphalia, the regional state in which Dortmund is located, told local newspaper Ruhr Nachrichten that there were no concrete indications of planned attacks in Dortmund.

Criminal investigations have also been opened into other people, including asylum seekers, in connection with Thursday's arrests, the newspaper said.

The Berlin prosecutor's office, now in charge of the investigation, did not respond to requests for comment from Reuters.

Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday the security threat level in Germany remained high after the Paris attacks on Nov. 13 where 130 people were killed.

On Thursday, an object "presumed to be hazardous" was found in a car used by the two main suspects, prompting police to block off the area and evacuate residents from several buildings, according to a police statement.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 19, 2018
Saudi king urges action against Iran missile program, backs Yemen peace

By REUTERS