MANILA, Philippines – A packed passenger bus negotiating a downhill curve plunged off a Philippine mountain highway into a 100-foot (30-meter) ravine Wednesday, killing 41 people, police said.
Nine people, including a 10-year-old boy, survived and eight were taken to hospitals, said police chief Wilben Mayor of Benguet province north of Manila.
Mayor said most of the victims were pinned to death while others were thrown out as the bus tumbled down.
Working into the night, emergency workers recovered the last of the 41 bodies from the twisted wreckage, said regional disaster agency director Olivia Mercado-Luces.
Twenty-six have been identified so far, including four members of a Filipino-American family who were on their way back to the US after visiting relatives in the northern Philippines. An Indian national living in the Philippines also died.