Chile miners suing for millions from company, govt

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
October 1, 2010 01:35

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

COPIAPO, Chile — Relatives of 27 of the 33 miners trapped since Aug. 5 in a Chilean gold and copper mine joined their lawyer Thursday in filing a lawsuit demanding $10 million from the mining company.

The same families will demand a similar amount from Chile's government in the next few days, said their lawyer, Edgardo Reinoso.

The families accuse Alejandro Bohn and Marcel Kemeny, owners of the San Esteban mining company, of negligence and violations of several workplace and mine safety regulations. The second suit will allege the government failed to enforce the regulations.

"We families want them to pay all the damages, and we want justice," said Elvira Valdivia, noting that her husband, heavy equipment operator Mario Sepulveda, will have to spend his 40th birthday Monday a half-mile underground.

Most of the miners' families agreed to sue last month during a meeting at Camp Hope, where they have been holding vigil. Relatives of the remaining six miners will have to decide whether to pursue their own lawsuit, join this one or leave it alone, Reinoso said.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 14, 2018
Two pipe bombs thrown at Rachel’s Tomb

By TOVAH LAZAROFF