Cyprus says options still open on funding for banks

By REUTERS
June 19, 2012 10:51

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

NICOSIA - Cyprus still has options open to find urgently needed funds to recapitalize its banks, either through the EU rescue fund or through a bilateral loan, its finance minister said on Tuesday.

"We are optimistic we will get the financing we need to recapitalize the banks, whether that will be through a bilateral agreement, or through the mechanism, the EFSF," Finance Minister Vassos Shiarly said. "We believe that with a new Greek government now swifter arrangements can be made (in this direction)."

Cyprus faces a regulatory deadline to find 1.8 billion euros to recapitalize its second largest bank by the end of this month after its balance sheet was damaged by a write-off of Greek debt earlier this year.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 19, 2018
Trump: Top U.S. diplomat has not reviewed recordings of Saudi consulate

By REUTERS