Deal to evacuate Syrian Islamist fighters is halted, Hezbollah TV reports

By REUTERS
December 26, 2015 13:26

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A UN-sponsored deal to give safe passage to more than 2,000 Islamic State fighters and other hardline insurgents holed up in rebel-held south Damascus neighborhoods has been suspended, Lebanese Hezbollah's TV station said on Saturday.

It said the deal fell through after a top rebel commander, Zahran Alloush, was killed in an air strike on Friday. The convoy carrying the fighters had been due to pass through territory he controlled en route to their ultimate destination of Raqqa, the de facto capital of Islamic State in northern Syria.

The TV report said coaches that had arrived on Friday to pick up the fighters and at least 1,500 family members had turned back.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 15, 2018
Saudi Arabia seeking death penalty for five suspects in Khashoggi killing

By REUTERS