(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
CAIRO - An Egyptian court sentenced 56 people to prison on Sunday over the capsizing of a migrant boat that left over 200 people dead last year, judicial sources said.
The defendants were sentenced to jail terms ranging from seven to 13 years, the sources said, and one other person was acquitted.
The boat capsized off the Mediterranean coast on Sept. 21 near the village of Burg Rashid. Rescue workers and fishermen rescued at least 169 people, but at least 202 people died.