Egypt's army denies trying to clear Tahrir Square

November 21, 2011 14:14


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

CAIRO - Egypt's army said on Monday it had intervened on the streets of central Cairo, where 33 people have been killed in clashes over the past three days, to protect the Interior Ministry, not to clear demonstrators from nearby Tahrir Square.

Police and military police charged demonstrators, using tear gas and batons, in the square on Sunday, the second day of violence that has flared in the run-up to the first election since President Hosni Mubarak's overthrow in February.

The staggered parliamentary vote starts on Nov. 28.

"The army did not go to Tahrir but the protesters came to the ministry. The protesters have a right to protest, but we must stand between them and the Interior Ministry," said General Saeed Abbas, assistant to the head of Central Command.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
China cuts Air China's flight hours, launches safety review after incident