Explosive parcel sent to Greek embassy in Paris

By REUTERS
December 12, 2011 18:08

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

PARIS - French bomb disposal experts carried out a controlled explosion on a package containing explosives which was sent anonymously to the Greek embassy in Paris, an embassy spokesman said on Monday.

The spokesman said the package appeared to have been sent from Italy. He said it was the first such incident he knew of at the embassy.

"We saw that it was suspicious because there was no sender identified," the spokesman said. "We called the police experts, who examined the package and carried out a controlled explosion. There were explosives inside the package."

An Italian anarchist group claimed responsibility for two letter bombs sent last week.

The first, sent to Deutsche Bank chief executive Josef Ackermann, was discovered on Wednesday before it was opened. The second blew up in the hands of the chief of an Italian tax collection agency on Friday. He lost part of a finger and suffered injuries to his eyes.

A year ago an Italian anarchist group also claimed responsibility for sending parcel bombs to foreign embassies in Rome.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 22, 2018
Aryeh Deri signs order barring senior Hamas operative from leaving country

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF