German killed in Syria while fighting IS with Kurdish YPG

By REUTERS
February 23, 2016 17:15

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BEIRUT - A German national was killed on Tuesday in Syria while fighting against Islamic State with the Kurdish YPG militia, the seventh Westerner to die fighting with the group, a YPG official said.

He was killed in the town of al-Shadadi in the northeastern province of Hasaka and would not be identified until his family had been informed, the official told Reuters.

One American, one Briton, two Germans, two Australians, and a Canadian have died fighting with the YPG, the official said. The YPG has received air support from a US-led coalition in its fight against Islamic State in northern Syria.

The YPG official declined to be identified because he is not an official spokesman for the group

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 19, 2018
Trump threatens to send in military to shut down U.S. border to Mexico

By REUTERS