German war criminal seeks to avoid jail on health grounds

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 30, 2010 16:32

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BERLIN— A German army officer convicted of ordering a wartime massacre of Italian civilians said he is in too poor health to serve time in jail on Tuesday.

Barbara Stockinger, a spokeswoman for Munich prosecutor's office, said that doctors will now have to evaluate 92-year-old Josef Scheungraber to determine whether to allow him to remain free for health reasons.Scheungraber was convicted last year of 10 counts of murder and one of attempted murder and sentencing to life in prison. His appeal was rejected in October.



Scheungraber was a 25-year-old Wehrmacht lieutenant during the June 1944 killings in Falzano di Cortona.

After partisans had killed two German soldiers, Scheungraber ordered 11 civilians to be herded into a barn that was then blown up. One teenage boy survived the blast.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
May 25, 2019
Pompeo: U.S. arms sales to Saudis, UAE, Jordan needed to deter Iran

By REUTERS