(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
German police have detained a third man suspected of involvement in a plan by an army officer and a student to carry out an attack, possibly on left-leaning politicians who favor immigration, the federal public prosecutor said on Tuesday.
The prosecutor's office named the third suspect in the case that has shocked Germany as Maximilian T., a 27-year-old German citizen.
"The accused is strongly suspected of planning a severe act of violence against the state out of a right-wing extremist conviction," the prosecutor's office said in a statement.
The three had planned to carry out an attack and make it look like it had been the work of Islamist militants. Former president Joachim Gauck and Justice Minister Heiko Maas were on a list of possible targets prepared by the suspects.