IDF names new head of Operations Division

By
March 14, 2016 15:36

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The IDF on Monday named a new head of Operations Division, in place of the embattled, previously designated head, Brig.-Gen. Ofek Buchris.

Buchris is under a Military Police investigation following allegations of rape and sexual harassment, which he denies.

Brig.-Gen. Yitzhak Turgeman will be new incoming head of the Operations Division, the IDF said, pending an approval by Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon.

Last week, IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Gadi Eisenkot canceled the appointment of Buchris to command the strategically vital unit.

Buchris was due to take up the post soon. Military Police are investigating allegations by a female subordinate of several acts of rape and sexual harassment.

Buchris was suspended from service on March 1.

Army sources said that after consulting with the military advocate-general, and verifying that a lengthy legal process remains ahead of Buchris, Eisenkot decided that the investigation must be allowed to take its course without interfering with the need to appoint a Operations Directorate chief.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
Iran says France's Total has officially left South Pars deal

By REUTERS